Employment Tribunal Legal Fees & Disbursements
Fees are charged on a private paying basis and will usually vary depending on the complexity of the matter.
- Simple case: Average fees are between £5000.00 and £10,000.00 (excluding VAT)
- Medium complexity case: Average fees are between £10,000.00 and £25,000.00 (excluding VAT)
- High complexity case: Average fees are between £25,000.00 and £50,000.00 (excluding VAT)
Factors that may affect the complexity of the case include:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties)
- The number of witnesses and documents
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if there has been a dismissal after blowing the whistle on the employer
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
- There will be an additional charge for attending a Tribunal Hearing of between £1400.00 and £2800.0 per day (excluding VAT). Generally, we would anticipate between 1 and 5 days depending on the complexity of the case
Before agreeing to act for you on a private basis, we will discuss with you whether there are other means of funding this matter. It is important that you explore whether you have any insurance policies or affinity memberships that may provide funding for this type of claim.
Before you instruct us to act for you we will send a letter to you setting out the basis of how we will be charging you.
Likely disbursements will be:
Counsel's fees estimated between £2000.00 to £3000.00 per day (depending on the experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
Note: Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties.
What services does this fee include:
The following steps are included:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on the merits of the claim
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached
- Preparing your defence to the claim
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- Considering the schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundle of documents that we will rely on at the hearing
- Reviewing and advising on the other party's witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
Potential additional costs may be charged for:
- Other claims that may be brought (for example a claim for sexual or disability discrimination against your employer)
Contact our Employment Lawyers for Dentists
For more information on our fee structures, please speak with a member of our team today on 0151 707 0090 (Liverpool), 0113 8343705 (Leeds), 0203 114 2133 (London) or complete our online enquiry form.